When a homeowner purchases a new, state-of-the-art television, proper installation of the unit is vital so that the owner can truly enjoy all the perks. Even if you consider yourself a great do-it-yourselfer, there are several specific items this TV mounting guide will assist you with. These include the type of mounts to use, the proper installation height and location that will help you in professionally mounting a TV.
Highlighted below are valuable pieces of information and expert tips to give you the knowledge necessary to make sure your television mounting project is completed correctly the first time.
What are the Types of Wall TV Mounts?
Flexibility is a critical component for any home improvement project. Homeowners that have a desire to install their new TV on any wall need to have the freedom of selecting a mounting platform, which will truly enhance every aspect that a wall-mounted television can offer, including:
- Do you want to have the ability to adjust the TV so you can get better views from multiple angles?
- Perhaps you’d like to angle your Television for optimal viewing potential; but also have the flexibility to have the TV fit snugly against the wall when it’s not in use?
These are just a few of the options available through multiple mounting brackets. Here are a few of the more popular approaches to mounting a TV.
What is a Flat Mount?
The flat wall mount is the most typical, economical and simple television mount. It is designed to secure the wall snugly against the wall mount, in many cases as little as one inch from the flat surface. A flat wall mount has no adjustment capability and your television will be mounted flat against the wall. This type of mount is best suited for plasma televisions that have high vertical and horizontal viewing options.
What is a Tilt Mount?
The tilt mount is a vertical adjusting hardware that allows you to target your television angle for optimal viewing. The tilt mounting hardware is spaced a bit further from the wall – typically about 2 ½ inches and is best suited for televisions that are mounted above fireplaces or placed higher on walls – like a bedroom TV. Typical TV’s that use this type of mounting hardware include Plasma and LCD TV’s.
What is a Swivel Mount?
The swivel mount, also referred to as a tilt/swivel, permits side-to-side adjustments so that the homeowners can place the TV at angles in rooms with multiple viewing locations. Like the above tilting mount, the swivel also extends a bit further from the wall.
What is an Articulating Mount?
The final type of mount that is typically used is the articulating mount. This is the most sophisticated and versatile mounting solution that provides optimal tilting and swivel flexibility. This type of mount can move a television several inches away from the wall, permitting wider ranges of viewing options.
What Factors Help Select the Right Wall Mount for My TV?
Once you understand the mounting options that are available to you, selecting the right mount for your television becomes easier. Here are four factors to consider when choosing the best wall mount for you room:
- The Weight of the Television: Each mounting system can support different sized televisions. You should take into consideration how heavy your television will be. Always look for a mounting system that can support at least 20% more weight than the actual weight of your television.
- The Screen Size: Just like the weight of the television, the screen size is also important to factor. Some mounts have differently shaped mounts for specifically sized televisions.
- The Equipment Required for Installation: Making sure you have the appropriate equipment is crucial to installing your TV wall mount successfully. Having a proper level, a pencil to mark drill holes and measuring tape are just a few items you will need during the install. If you don’t have the right equipment, contact a TV mounting professional.
- Find the Studs: Determine where the studs are located within the wall. The studs are spaced at 16in or 24in behind the drywall. The most efficient way of locating wall studs to mount your TV is by using a stud finder. Once you have located the studs, make sure you purchase a wall mount that will fit the exact location of the studs you found.
Wall Mounting Installation Tip: Consider looking into wire management systems that will ensure your installation looks clean and professional.
What is the Best TV Mounting Height?
Another element of TV mounting not to overlook is the height that you want to install your television at. According to Crutchfield, you want to ensure that the middle of your TV screen is at eye level to where you choose to sit or lay down while watching TV. However, for aesthetics, this low level mounting might cause issues for some homeowners. The solution is to consider mounting your television a bit higher, and using a tilt mount and angling your TV at a 15-degree level. This can often produce the optimal tv mounting height that is perfect for any setup.
What Options are Available to Hide TV Cables Behind a Wall Mount?
Nobody likes to see dangling cable wires on the walls – right? The solution to this common problem is to consider using cable management and concealment kits that are often sold by professional television installation companies. If you want to reduce the stress involved in this time consuming process, call an expert who will make sure the wall mounted TV is installed correctly and with no unsightly cords hanging out.
How Many Years Does a TV Mount Last?
A professionally installed wall television with a proper mount can last forever. However, when the wrong mount is used, or it’s installed incorrectly, it could cause catastrophic damage to your wall and the new television. Take the time to ensure your new TV is mounted correctly to put your mind at ease.
How can I Remove TV from Wall Mount?
Removing a television from an existing wall mount is a three-step process that should involve multiple people for proper removal and safety precautions.
- Prep the TV: Remove all wires, power cables and other devices that are attached to the television.
- Loosen the Television from the Mounting Hardware: Use the correct tools to remove the safety devices that hold the TV to the wall mounts.
- Use Help to Remove the TV: When you’re ready, one person should stand in front of the TV while another is on the side. Begin by lifting the television straight up. Once it’s free of the brackets, you can carefully remove it from the brackets.
As with any home improvement project, if you’re not 100% confident, contact a professional to ensure it is safely removed.
Where can I find a TV Mounting Service in Phoenix?
If you’ve read the above information and have wisely determined that installing a new television to your wall is complex, time consuming and potentially dangerous, there are solutions. One of these solutions is to contact the wall television mounting experts at Infinity HD.
We are Phoenix’s premiere home theater installation company, with over 20 years of experience and are committed to assisting you with all of your home theater and home automation needs.
Infinity HD is dedicated to offering you the highest quality in service and products. We listen to your needs and we will design a home theater system that fits your lifestyle. We know there are a ton of gadgets on the market right now and we aim to simplify technology so that you can enjoy it with ease.
If you have a new television that needs to be professionally installed on your walls, unsightly exposed cords or uninstalling a wall mounted TV, contact the home theater installations experts at Infinity HD.
Call Infinity HD today at (480) 787-0443.
Read Related Articles: